Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Mixquiahuala Letters

The Mixquia-what? The Mix-key-a-wah-lah letters. This was our Book Club pick this month!
In all honesty, this wasn't one of my favorites, but the format was cool and a complete departure from previous picks we've had.





The Mixquiahuala Letters is about two women (an artist and a writer) who met in Mexico and the friendship they share over several decades. Actually, the letters were only written by one of the women (the writer, duh!) but it evidently contains the artist's point of view as well.

What made this book so different was the way the reader could choose to read it! It was kind-of like a choose-your-own-adventure book! The reader could choose to read the book as: The Conformist, The Cynic, or The Quixotic. (To be quixotic means to be not sensible about practical matters, to be idealistic and unrealistic.) Depending on which path you choose, you read the chapters (letters) in a different order. I guess it is meant to tell a different story each time.

I read The Conformist and The Cynic, I didn't have enough time to read The Quixotic. I didn't find the two paths I read to be too entirely different-most of the chapters were repeats, although the author doesn't direct you to read all the chapters in each path. It was kind-of confusing and I know I am not making this review any less so.

I wasn't blown away by this book, and I suspect that the Book Club girls aren't exactly going to be impressed, either. Lucky for us, we're having this month's Book Club at a Mexican restaurant, so we'll be entertained by the margaritas!:)

2 comments:

  1. The concept sounded great, too bad the author didn't quite pull it off!

    Enjoy the margaritas!

    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete