Friday, May 15, 2009

Friday Fun Fact

So, earlier this week I provided a couple of recipes that were chock-full of chocolate, sugar, and calories! Then, I watched the finale for The Biggest Loser.





I don't know about you all, but I was super inspired! The oldest contestant ever on the show was the at-home winner, after only spending 2 weeks at the ranch! AND passing out at the gym on the first episode! I was so happy that he won (I thought Ron was way too devious, glad he lost!!!)
I think I get way too involved in these reality shows!

A couple months ago, while working out at our gym with the Mr., we saw an older lady (I'm really bad at guessing age, but I'd have to put her in her late 70's maybe?) on the treadmill. On oxygen. Yep, her O2 tank was right off to the side and she was just plugging away! And not at a snail's pace either! It wasn't like she was running, but she wasn't walking slow! I just kept thinking-what is my excuse?

So here's some fun facts about exercise and age, many of which I'm sure most of you know, but perhaps not.



1. Disease prevention

By regulating certain hormones in your body, diseases like cancer and diabetes are prevented, along with a boost in immunity which also keeps you healthy!

2.Prevents osteoporosis

Bones respond to regular use by getting thicker and become thinner the less we use them. Weight bearing exercises strengthens our bones and prevents fractures as we age!

3.Decreased risk of depression and anxiety

Along with the hormones that are produced and circulated to prevent disease in our body, exercise increases the happy hormones responsible for mood and behavior as well! (Runners high is not a myth!)



Happy Friday Everybody!

6 comments:

  1. I'm just like you about getting so involved in these shows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to exercise! ")

    Wow, that lady on a treadmill. If she can do it. I can!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In reply to your comment:

    Coding a child, heart breaking! It really is amazing how we "do" what we need to, when we need to. And how it comes back to us, even after time goes by. Thank God for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great fact! I'm gonna go work on changing my fat self....AFTER I eat a bowl of lard red chile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love "The Biggest Loser"... as much as I've watched the show, you'd think it would motivate me to start excercising!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and I forgot to mention...

    your caption for my photo today is great! LOL!

    ReplyDelete