Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Nurses Week?

So, May 6th marked the beginning of Nurses Week.


Two years ago, the hospital I work for decided to give each of the nurses 5 "I Care" points. What is an "I Care" point you ask? It's an employee award recognition system at our hospital that other staff or patients can dole out to each other for good work. Once you've tallied up a certain number of points, you can exchange them for prizes at our hospital.


I have no problem with the "I care" program, because I think it is a nice way to recognize your co-workers, but I find the hospital giving each nurse an automatic 5 point for nurses week rather...lazy. And Rude. Especially since 5 points can literally only get you a ballpoint pen. Not even one of those clicky pens (I know my fellow nurses out there know exactly what I'm talking about~how annoying is it to get pen stains on your scrub pockets because you didn't feel like re-capping your regular pen???)


Anyways, last year the hospital redeemed itself by giving all the nurses these cute Chinese take-out boxes filled with tea and candles and stuff. The idea was to promote relaxation which I can totally agree with! No beef with the relaxation take-out box for nurses week.


This year, the hospital has sunk to a new low....


Instead of nurses week, they have decided to change it to "Hospital Employees Week". That is bull. Doctors get their own day, social workers, medical assistants, radiology techs. Why not the largest workforce in the hospital??? Now, I have no problem with just having a day and not an entire week, but come on! This is insulting. Everyone loves nurses, right?
Give us our own day, darn it!


Or deal with this lady!

2 comments:

  1. And not to mention that basically EVERYTHING that was supposed to happen for "hospital week" got cancelled! Stupid cost cutting measures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ridiculous! I have always thought that it takes a special type of person to be a nurse and that there should totally be a "thank you" day for that!

    ReplyDelete