Friday, May 22, 2009

Friday Fun Fact

As I'm sure you all know, this weekend marks Memorial Day holiday for Americans. And for almost everybody I know, it also means BBQ's with family and friends...

As an inpatient nurse for many, many years, holidays had lost some meaning for me. Since the hospital never closes, somebody has to be at work during the holidays, right? Memorial Day is just something I never really took the time to consider.

Now that I work in a clinic with guaranteed holidays off, I have taken the time to think about and appreciate the various holidays that America celebrates...

I have always held the utmost respect for our soldiers, and have always admired my father for serving in Vietnam (willingly, not through the draft.) My father-in-law is retired from 30 years of military service, and both my grandfathers are WWII vets. Anyone that has the courage to actually risk their life to protect and maintain the advantages we hold here in the US just strikes awe in my heart.

I know the Iraq war is quite controversial, but it is a part of our everyday lives. Our brothers and sisters are risking their lives so that others might enjoy the freedoms that we hold so dear to our own livelihoods. A lot of people don't want to believe that, and see this as a war that will keep us in oil. But I choose to believe that life has improved for people living in that corner of our globe, not as a result of our President, but as a result of our soldiers.

Now, I'm sure this fun fact isn't going to blow any minds, but Memorial Day celebrates the lives of all soldiers that have died in service of our great country. Here's something you may not know...Memorial Day was formerly known as Decoration Day. In 1868, it was decided that our country would take the time to observe the lives of those who've died defending our country by visiting and decorating their graves. I think this picture is pretty powerful stuff.






Happy Friday Everybody.

3 comments:

  1. I love that you wrote about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the soldiers are my heros...past, present, and future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen!

    Thanks for this post.

    Enjoy the day off work too ")

    ReplyDelete