Saturday, April 11, 2009

Crock.Pot.Chicken. Yeah, Baby!

I have an unnatural obsession with my crock pot. Actually, it isn't even my crock pot, it's a leftover from the Mr.'s bachelor days. (Yes, I got me a domesticated one ladies! Don't be jealous!)

There must be something about having your dinner cook all day while you are doing other things that really just soothes the inner-obsessive time manager in me. Plus, I have some really weird meat phobias-especially where chicken is concerned, but if I cook something for 8 hours, I can relax, knowing it is likely cooked all the way through.

Well, all of that and I love the way it makes the whole house smell wonderful! :)

All week I've been craving BBQ chicken, and so I found a recipe on the internet - it could not have been more easy. And I wanted to make my own BBQ sauce, but I just didn't have the energy, allergies were kicking my bottom.

All you need is chicken, a bottle of BBQ sauce, and 10 oz of Coke. That's it! I was hoping to use Dr. Pepper because I love it, but couldn't find the single-serves at the grocery that morning, so I made due with Coke. (Since I love Dr. Pepper, buying a 6-pack was NOT an option for me!)


All the ingredients: pretty budget-friendly meal, huh?




Spray your crock pot with non-stick and place the chicken at the bottom. I used boneless, skinless, but plopping a whole bird in there is a valid option too!



Cover with the entire bottle of BBQ



Pour in the carbonated beverage of choice. No sense in using diet folks!



I was feeling a little dangerous...just a splash won't hurt, right?




Cook for 6 hours on low, then shred the chicken up! I took the chicken out of the pot to shred it in a separate bowl while the sauce I turned up high for about an hour to reduce a bit before adding the chicken back to the pot. It was yum, yum, yum!



Coupled with sweet potato fries (thank you Trader Joe's!) and some steamed broccoli, we had a great meal.




Enjoy! :)

4 comments:

  1. Looks yummy!!! I have a secret love for my crockpot as well. I could not live without her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum yum....I'm cooking this tonight for our Easter dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and I'm tagging you in my blog tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete