Monday, April 6, 2009

There's a (slight) chance I might be going to hell


I devour books. I will pretty much read anything I can get my hands on! I thought that my book consumption was directly related to working the night shift (AKA graveyards) as there were several opportunities for downtime. I am beginning to come to terms with the fact that I just love having my nose stuck in a book! I'm a book worm!


I belong to a book club that my good friend G started over a year ago. It's basically an opportunity to get together for a couple hours and talk about the book for 5 minutes of those hours. I love Book Club.:)


It was M's turn to pick a book this month. I have given her a hard time in the past for picking a less-than-desirable book and I haven't had the opportunity yet to live it down. But I am always the first one to give her props for picking 2 of my favorite Book Club picks to date: "The Time Travelers Wife" and "The Glass Castle". Her third pick was no exception: "There's a (slight) chance I might be going to hell" by Laurie Notaro.


This book focuses on a woman who moves to a small town with her husband and finds it difficult to make friends. Notaro has an easy way of writing and this book was really funny. My only gripe was the unfortunate way she took several opportunities to bad mouth pit bulls and portray them as violent dogs. (I have 2 pit bulls, they are wonderful dogs, they deserve much more attention than a single sentence.)


Other than that, the book was easy to read and one of those reads I had a hard time putting down. Great pick M!

No comments:

Post a Comment