Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Whole Lotta Strata!

The Mr. and I are big fans of stratas because they are easy and yummy! All you need is bread, eggs, leftovers and a healthy imagination and you have a complete meal!

The other night I decided to whip one up for dinner using whatever I could find that was either about to expire or had been in the freezer for too long. Here's what I came up with...

I tore up an old loaf of rye bread that was in the freezer from the LAST time I made a strata! :)




Added some sauteed chicken the Mr. had made earlier that day with some garlic, onions, and olive oil...



Added a little asparagus from the freezer that had seen better days...I never would have used fresh asparagus for this because we never have any leftover! The frozen stuff is fine for something like this, but it just isn't the same quality...



OK, I used 2 cups of egg beaters...



And two cups of pureed butternut squash soup! The soup gives the whole dish a slightly sweet flavor-plus it's super-healthy! :)



Pour it over everything...



Top it all off with cheese (I used cheddar and Parmesan, so much for being healthy!)


Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 75 minutes or so and you will have this yummy, puffy, wonderful dinner!




Enjoy! :)

1 comment: