Saturday, April 25, 2009

DIY Soap! (Trust me, it's super-easy!)


I found this fun idea on the 100 Layer Cake blog for DIY soaps during a bridal shower. Guests can pick out which scents they like and the soap molds can harden while the bride-to-be open presents!

I ran the idea by my friend who is throwing a shower for her sister in a few weeks and she loved it! Lucky for us, we did a dry-run trial a couple of weeks before, only to find that it was a rather messy and time-consuming endeavor. Instead, we decided to make all the soaps ourselves, wrap them in pretty paper, and give them as party favors at the bridal shower.

Michael's and Hobby Lobby are really dangerous stores for me to go in to. I came out of there with my mind buzzing from all the projects I want to try, but I digress...

They have several different options for soap bases: Olive Oil, Avocado/Cucumber, Goat's Milk, and (our choice) Shea Butter. They also had a wide array of scents and add-ins to choose from. (We did Lavender/Lemon Verbena and Honey Almond/Orange Peel~they were heavenly!)





This is a fun project to just let your imagination run wild with: Coffee Beans/Vanilla, Chai Tea, Lavender Vanilla, Grapefruit and Dried Orange Peel, the possibilities are endless...


Cut the pre-scored block of soap base






Melt for about 4-5 minutes in the microwave









Add your scents and whatever other add-ins of your choosing






Pour into desired mold shapes (there are several options to choose from here as well, but we were looking for a more basic shape)






Let cool for about 45 minutes





We wrapped each bar in cling wrap




Pre-cut strips of pretty paper and wrap each bar





Affix a label explaining which scent is which






Fun idea, huh? They ended up being rather elegant looking if we do say so ourselves!


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Those look great! I am def gonna have to try that! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it! Such a great idea! I need to try and do this!

    ReplyDelete