Monday, April 27, 2009

"If you like Pina Coladas...."

OK, not to toot my own horn here, but I make a famous cake.

My mom gave me the recipe several years ago, and whenever I bring it to gatherings, it is always a big hit. I, of course, had to change it from just a coconut cake to a pineapple coconut cake because I can't follow a recipe to save my life.
Thus, the Pina Colada cake was born...

I do not make anything from scratch. I have an aversion to measuring anything which is why I am not great at the baking process and would prefer to make everything on the stovetop, avoiding the oven whenever possible.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact I have to be so diligent in my exactness at work? I need to measure meds to the 0.01 decimal point (it was really bad when I was a NICU nurse!) Maybe it's my little way of rebelling in real life that I don't like to measure baking things? Hmmm...I don't know the reasons behind my psychoses, I just know I have them.

ANYWAYS...

All you need is a box of cake mix (I always try to use the Pineapple version, because the coconut is so intense, but white or yellow cake is fine too!)




Coco Lopez cream of coconut (BEWARE OF IMITATIONS! They are not the same~and you can find this evil little can in the liquor dept of your grocery store!)




Crushed pineapple in it's own juice (The syrup stuff is just gross! And it has to be crushed, trust me on this one.)



and Cool Whip! (Everyone knows what a tub of that stuff looks like, right?)

Make the cake according to directions on the box

When it has cooled for a bit, but still pretty warm (like 10 minutes) stab the cake a few times



Get to work with the Coco Lopez goodness! (There is always a thick layer at the top~I try not to think about what that layer will be looking like once it's reached my coronary arteries, I just deal with it)


This layer melts right on the cake, I treat it kind-of like it's butter...

Dump the liquidy part all over~this cake will be pretty drenched by the time you're done. (My mom insists you don't need all the Coco Lopez, but I insist that you do.)



Look how the cake actually separates a bit from the sides and all the coconut wonderfulness just sits in between...



Once the cake has cooled a wee bit more, start spreading the crushed pineapple. I use a fork to do this part because I don't want any extra pineapple juice on the cake.



Cover it all with the Cool Whip!



You can get creative at this point~topping it off with toasted coconut or macadamia nuts or whatever your pleasure. I forgot to buy anything, so the top is just plain.

This cake is a hit, even with non-coconut lovers! I've had several people shy away from the cake only to give it a chance and eat more than one piece! It's just that good.



Enjoy! :)

1 comment:

  1. Yummy what a great idea. Pina Colada is one of my favorite drinks. Now i can eat it to!!!

    ReplyDelete