Friday, April 17, 2009

Friday Fun Fact


I love me some wine. I'm a dry reds and sweet whites kind-of girl.


OK, let's be honest, it's not like I turn my nose up at beer or cocktails, either! Hey, I'm an Irish-Italian girl, what do you expect?


The other day, the Mr. and I met a man who is an avid wine connoisseur and he told us all kinds of fun facts about wine!

First, he told us that wine color is a result of the length of time the grape skins are in contact with the wine. Red wine has a long exposure, blush has a little exposure and white has none at all.

Second, he told us about an aged bottle of red he tried once where it was actually a light, straw color when it was poured. He watched it slowly become a dark red before his eyes! Evidently, wine that is properly aged will actually become dormant and lose it's tint. When it is exposed to oxygen, it regains it's original color! (He said it was one of the best glasses of wine he's ever tried.)

Lastly, I asked him if green grapes were ever made into red wine (thinking, what kind of skins do they purposefully put in there?) he told me green grapes are never used for wine making. All wine comes from red grapes. I didn't know that! But, now I do, and so do you!

Cheers!
Happy Friday Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment