Monday, April 20, 2009

Ode to a coffee house (and a city)

I am fully aware that my blog has an identity disorder. One day, I want to post a recipe, the next day a craft project, then I want to talk about wedding stuff-or movies, or celebrities.

I think it's pretty obvious that I can't just stick to one thing, but if I was absolutely FORCED to, I would post about nothing but Albuquerque. I grew up here in the 505, and have moved away from time to time seeking "greener pastures", but have always returned-something several of my friends and family have fallen victim to as well!

There's just something about Albuquerque. (I will always spell out that massive word and NOT refer to it as "The Q", because I think that is lame!) I was trying to explain the charm that this southwestern city holds to a friend a couple weeks ago. Is it the weather? The people? The culture? The FOOD? I think what it all boils down to is that Albuquerque just has a sweet simplicity about itself-a slower pace, a more relaxed atmosphere.

So I mentioned above that I would likely post about nothing but Albuquerque, if I had to stick to one genre. Scratch that, I would write about nothing but Albuquerque's food. I would have material for MONTHS if I solely posted about fab restaurants in the 505.

Red or Green? That is a question we native New Mexicans learn to answer at an early age-a lot depends on personal preference, but we also quickly learn which dishes are served best with red chile or green chile. And sometimes, "Christmas" is a perfectly reasonable answer as well!

There is this coffee house in Barelas that has quite a reputation. (Barelas is a neighborhood that is part of Albuquerque's downtown area.) I had been wanting to go there for ages, but since they are closed on Sundays, it had always been difficult. Finally, the Mr. and I were able to make our way over there for breakfast last week. While it was definitely WORTH the wait, I can't believe I had been missing out on this place all of my life!

I had Huevos Rancheros, (Christmas, of course!) and I was seriously in heaven! The place is just that good. The Mr. had his favorite go-to, the breakfast burrito, which was equally as wonderful as my order. Word on the street (from many friends) is that their menudo and chicarrones are amazing as well. (However, these are not menu items for the faint of heart!)

If anyone is reading this and happens to be in the 505, please give The Barelas Coffee house a shot, you'll be oh so happy you did! (I wanted to post a link to their website, but the place is so old school, they don't have one. Now that's keepin' it real, people!)

1 comment:

  1. Hmm I don't think a schizophrenic blog is a *bad* thing! Keep 'em guessing! LOL

    I unfortunately don't live anywhere near Albuquerque but I love that you are giving the local places a shout out. And I have to admit I'm scared of menudo. :)

    ReplyDelete